Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum


Rattlesnake Rivals
A friend of mine who went to college in Tucson highly recommended that I visit the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, just west of the city. I'm glad I listened. I enjoyed my time there. 
Even in October the light was quite bright and it was warm, so be advised that a spring or summer visit could be, umm, toasty. And take water: I can guarantee you that you'll get thirsty in the dry air and sun.
There are a number of zoo-like exhibits with desert animals and birds; taking photos of those residents is iffy. During the heat of the day most are taking shelter in the shade of their dens or various nooks and crannies. Quite by accident  I happened upon the two rattlesnakes battling each other. They were in the shade of a prickly pear cactus, intertwined and putting on quite a show. They were actually small--perhaps 18" long and they were more interested in each other than the visitors, so taking their picture wasn't quite as adventurous as you might think.

This is a great family attraction that is beautifully maintained and educational, and that promotes a respect for the ecology of the desert and the animals, birds, and reptiles that live there. If you are in the Tucson area, this is a highly recommended location for photographers.

The Tucson Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment